Below you can find examples of applications of flow cytometry in the field of plant breeding/plant multiplication. All these examples can be performed by Plant Cytometry Services.
Ploidy analyses to determine ploidy level:
- Analyses and determination of the ploidy level of the starting material for tissue culture multiplication
- Analyses of the changes in ploidy level after tissue culture multiplication
- Analyses of the purity of seed lots
- Screen and analyse for haploids and diploids from anther, microspore and ovary cultures
- Screen and analyse for ploidy impurities
- Screen and analyse for tetraploidy that result from a treatment with colchicine/oryzaline
Determination of small differences in DNA amount:
- Trace aneuploids
- Trace interspecific hybrids (only if the difference of the nuclear DNA amount between the parents can be measured)
- Search for polypoidy as a results of apomixes
- Characterising related species/DNA content variation in different species of genus
- Trace of successful cell fusions.
Determination of absolute DNA content (size of the genome)
- These type of analyses are required for scientific publications